Subject: [Leica] Jeffery PAW week 23 - Cleanup Man
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon Jun 19 04:42:15 2006

Fomapan 'Creative' 200 is the same film as Paterson Acupan 200.  I've
had some mass spec done to verify it.  They both also are distinctive in
that they are numbered as single (half) frames.  A cine film ancestry,
maybe.  There also used to be an 800 speed version (of both Foma and
Paterson), but it was discontinued, I heard, because of problems with
consistency (I experienced this myself with both films).  I really like
Fomapan films, but pre-scratched, weirdly spotted, or otherwise curiously
anomalous results are not uncommon (strangest was a cassette that didn't
fit - not sure how that one got out of the factory - and before you ask
how they got it into the can, Fomapan used to come in little plasticized
paper and foil packets).

Fomapan Creative 200 is not a T-grain emulsion - Foma got into trouble
with Kodak in the US because the film used to be called Fomapan T200.
Kodak have a copyright on the T*.  This film is a normal cubic grain
emulsion with monosize crystals and some clever incorporated developers
(I suspect this was where the 800 speed version ran into trouble - the
chief 'inconsistency' of tha film was black spots, caused possibly by
either infectious development in the developer solution or from some
peculiar type of auto-development that I never managed to understand
chemically).  In this respect it's actually conceptually closest to
Fuji's Acros, also a monosize, cubic grain, developer-incorporated
emulsion.  It places these films about halfway between a mixed-size old
style emulsion and a t-grain or epitaxial (like Delta) in terms of
acutance, grain and fussiness.

The Forte 200 is the same as Classic 200 (and Bergger 200 and Arista 200
EDU).  There is also a Svema or Tasma (anyway, a Russian Federation one)
film of approximately this speed - but I think it's 250 speed.

I've developed all the Foma films in a wide variety of developers.  I've
come to the conclusion that Xtol is the best all-round developer for
35mm, for these films too.  Any phenidone (and its derivatives)/ascorbate
developer of mildly alkaline pH should perform equivalently.  LuGer John
Black's excellent and innovative JB9, for instance.  Wade Heninger seems
to be using Foma 400 to good advantage recently.  Bohdan Holomicek uses
nothing else and there's nothing wrong with his photos.  Tom A's divided
D-76 (check the archive) works well too, or any staining developer for
and old-style look.  There's a divided catechol develop that Tom A sent
me the formula for that makes the grain in some of these old-style film
look horrendous (in his words "like the Olgas!" that's Kata Tjuta for
Australians): www.citi.umich.edu/ u/provos/australia/olgas.jpg

--

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Jeffery PAW week 23 - Cleanup Man)