Subject: [Leica] Jill Greenberg's Distressed Children
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jul 6 11:36:06 2006

At 12:53 PM -0400 7/6/06, Chris Saganich wrote:
>Looking at this I can't seem to see the connection with the artists
>statement and the images.  But, the technique is familiar, using
>provocative images that create an emotional reaction which is then
>co-opted for some specific purpose.   advertising I think it is
>called.  To the extent that advertising is exploitation I think
>these kids are being exploited with the permission of their parents.
>These days few really understand the meaning of exploitation.
>
>An acquaintance of mine had been working on a similar project but
>without the provocation.  He just waited for the kid to fuss and cry
>about something and take a snap shot.  They look pretty much like
>the photos in question.  I think people who are outraged by this are
>reacting without knowing much about the process.
>
>Chris Saganich

Part of her process is to intentionally provoke them. This is clearly
stated in the links that Tina provided. That is the outrageous part,
and in my opinion is disgusting.

Waiting for photos to happen, purely as an observer, is a whole
'nuther matter. That's not what's happening here. Then you still have
to decide what's more important: comforting the children or taking
photos of them.

If kids are treated reasonably, some might not cry or fuss for a very
long time. If she doesn't have the patience to wait for the natural
occurrence of small children crying, she should look for another
project. Valuing her time more than the morality of provoking anguish
in small children is what upsets me.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design