Subject: [Leica] Jill Greenberg's Distressed Children
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Jul 5 14:46:30 2006

At 2:20 PM -0400 7/5/06, Tina Manley wrote:
>LUG:
>
>There is a fierce debate going on over on PhotoPro about this
>photographer's work:
>http://www.paulkopeikingallery.com/artists/greenberg/exhibitions/endtimes/index.htm
>
>She deliberately provokes children in order to photograph them with
>distressed expressions.  What is the LUG's opinion?  Of the
>photography and of the methods used?
>
>Here is one opinion and some rebuttal
>http://thomashawk.com/2006/04/jill-greenberg-is-sick-woman-who.html
>
>Tina

The apparent method for getting these reactions is by giving them a
lollipop and and then taking it away.

If we see an older sibling doing that to a younger one, we scold them
and tell them not to be mean.

For an adult to do this for their own purposes, and for the parents
to be party to this is disgusting. Manipulation of children to create
any kind of pain by adults they should be able to trust is a vast
abuse of that trust.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design