Subject: [Leica] How to better appreciate different kinds/styles ofphotographs?
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sat Jul 8 16:47:33 2006

Whenever I have posed questions such as this on the LUG, I get sarcastic and
condescending ridicule from those who feel they have nothing new to learn.
So I know what I am setting myself up for here.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. There are some things that, with
more exposure, I still cannot stand (rap music rings a bell here). I never
had much appreciation for blues or jazz until I decided to learn about both.
When I first heard Mahler in 1968, I thought it was just too dissonant.
Today, I wonder how I could have felt that way. When I first looked at
Eggleston's color images, they seemed like 1950's color snapshots to me. But
after studying them a bit more, I grew to appreciate them. In short, I tend
not to like the unfamiliar, but warm up to it with repeated exposure. I have
to admit that I used to be that way with people. If I got a bad first
impression, I had trouble shaking it. But today I find myself liking people
at work who are, to others, insufferable.

I have tried Bruckner from time to time, and still don't like him. When
someone told me to think of him as Richard Wagner writing a symphony, I
liked him better, but not that much. Just better.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/