Subject: [Leica] How to better appreciate different kinds/styles ofphotographs?
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Jul 12 13:22:24 2006

Jeffery Smith wrote:
> There are some things that, with
> more exposure, I still cannot stand (rap music rings a bell here). I never
> had much appreciation for blues or jazz until I decided to learn about
> both. SNIP
> In short, I tend
> not to like the unfamiliar, but warm up to it with repeated exposure.
I think this is very normal, and that most people are like this with
respect to all forms of art, and not just art. I have looked at
Eggleston's pictures quite a bit, both in books and at exhibitions, but
I still don't get it. Added exposure simply does not help me in this
case. But in other instances--such as Parr or Winogrand--I did come to
like them as I looked at their work more, and both are now among my top
5 personal favorites.

As I said, this does not just apply to art. When I came to the US in the
early 1980s, I looked at the major sports (I like to watch sports on
TV); initially I found baseball boring, but after a couple of years I
actually came to like it more than American football or basketball.

I guess that is the meaning of acquired taste. It does not mean that
everyone can acquire a taste for a given thing. I still dislike
Eggleston and Marmite, despite repeated exposure to both.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands