Subject: [Leica] Consensus on external hard drives
From: michael.francis at gs.com (Francis, Michael)
Date: Fri Jul 21 06:21:59 2006

For personal use I purchased the Infrant NAS box which currently has
1.6TB of storage in it (1.1 usable)- this is running on a GigE network.
My experience is that the product works very well, the performance is
good and the reliability what I was looking for (e.g. it just sits in
the cupboard and runs)- it is running in a RAID5 configuration. To avoid
the potential of the whole array becoming corrupted I use one of their
many built in backup options to automatically copy critical files (read
photos) to an external USB drive nightly. This drive is plugged into the
USB port of the NAS box. The files on the USB drive are regular copies
so the USB drive can be read by any computer without any special
software. One of the nice features of this setup is that both my laptop
and desktop mount the same drives on the NAS and so I now store no
permanent data on either computer. This setup also works rather nicely
for my CD collection, which I can play in any room through a Sonos
system :)

Hope that helps.

Mike