Subject: Autofocus WAS Re: [Leica] Film Forevah!!
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sun Jul 23 06:57:03 2006

>> Slight pressure on shutter release...Centre spot goes red... click!
>
>Not a useful technique for those subjects where the desired best focus
>is off-center.  My subjects move quickly enough and often enough that
>focussing 'as-composed' yields a higher success rate than
>'focus-recompose-click'.

When there's enough light, I rarely use the center spot.  Usually one of the
end ones so that I can compose with my subject off-center.  I really, really
wish Canon would put more of the sensitive sensors either on thirds
intersections or golden mean intersections.  Wouldn't want that all the
time, but I'd find it more useful to have a box-and-one arrangement than the
current cross.

One of the best tips I found was to move the focusing off the shutter
release and put it on the * button on the back.  I no longer have to think
about it.  I know I'm either focusing manually, and then I don't hit that,
or I use it when I want to autofocus.  Greatest focusing tip since I was
told to move myself instead of re-focusing my M when my subject moved (and I
believe that was one I picked up from Ted, if memory serves.)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Message from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) (Autofoucs WAS Re: [Leica] Film Forevah!!)