Subject: [Leica] OT auto focus tip
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Tue Jul 25 20:07:22 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 8:37 AM, mcyclwritr@comcast.net wrote:

> If it hasn't already been suggested, read Canon's white paper for more
> info on using autofocus correctly.
>
> http://photoworkshop.com/canon/EOS_Digital.pdf
>

> What others have said regarding the traditional focus-recompose
> technique is not altogether incorrect. However, for close-up work and
> shallow depth of focus, it's not the best.
>
> See pages 11 and 29 of the .pdf for more.
>
> By the way, when working in low light, the extra-sensitive, center
> autofocus point is sometimes the only one that works. Ah, well.
>
> -Chris Lawson

In particular, Canon's white paper says:

"For optimum focusing performance with close subjects, we recommend
avoiding the FLR technique. Instead, use an off center focusing point
or focus manually."

(FLR is Focus-Lock-Recompose)

and later in the white paper:

"The closer the subject, the more critical accurate focusing becomes.
One potential problem to avoid is camera or subject movement after
focus lock. This can happen more easily than one might think... Even
slight camera movement or subject movement after focus lock can result
in soft images, particularly when shooting at wide apertures with
narrow depth of field."

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com