Subject: [Leica] OT auto focus tip
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Tue Jul 25 00:36:13 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 5:08 PM, Adam Bridge wrote:

> Well I can't move the autofocus position to ANY location on the screen
> but I have a wide variety on the 1Ds Mk II, Doug, that would put the
> focus where you would be likely to have them. It does work. Or can
> manually focus and use focus confirmation to mark the place where the
> camera finds the image to be in focus.
>
> Adam

OK... let me see if I can explain this more clearly.

I want to be able to focus quickly, accurately, and simultaneously
anywhere and everywhere on the viewscreen.  My subjects are very
active, even when they appear to be sitting still.  They might yawn,
turn their head, shift weight from one foot to the other all in
fractions of a second, each time shifting the plane of best focus.  The
eye could be anywhere, at any time so I cannot pick a particular focus
point to watch.  For example, are there any focus points at this
pheasant's eye?  Recall that this is exactly as I saw it in the
viewfinder, no cropping:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/phasianidae/rnph01.html

In addition, I often watch multiple points or regions for optimum
focus, in this case, eye, back, and tail:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/corvidae/grja00.html

and with this bird, near eye, beak, 'ear' tufts, shoulder:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/eeow02.html

beak, eye, neck:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/coha03.html

eye, chest, shoulder, fruit, toes:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/thrushes/amro05.html

eye, beak, neck, wing, particularly as it twists, dips and flicks
feathers while preening:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/tetraonidae/sogr01.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/tetraonidae/sogr02.html

from tip of beak to tip of tail:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/tyrannidae/blph01.html

beak, eye, neck, back:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/meleagridae/witu10.html

eye, nose, paw, and as much of the seed pod as possible:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/rodents/cgsq02.html

eye, nose, beak and shoulder in lower right corner:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/haha00.html

eye, beak, neck, back as much of wings and tail as possible:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/thrushes/mobl00.html

These areas aren't all in focus by accident; I'm watching all of these
points simultaneously and shifting my position or waiting until the
bird lines itself up with my focus plane.  When everything comes
together my shutter finger has to respond immediately; the fraction of
a second used shifting the view for optimum composition is enough time
for all sorts of stuff to shift out of the focus plane, and to watch
this many regions simultaneously I'd rather use a viewscreen that shows
me clearly and unambiguously where stuff is in or out of focus, all
over the viewscreen all at once.  Let me be clear about this: these
areas aren't all in focus by accident.

Perhaps my needs are more specialized than the majority of camera
users' needs, but there is no AF camera yet made that has focus points
covering the entire viewscreen nor is there an AF camera yet made that
can have enough simultaneous active focus points nor is there an AF
camera yet made that includes the optimizing algorithm in my brain that
can determine which of several active focus points are the most
critical ones, and an AF camera in manual mode with its compromised
viewscreen is not optimum for the kind of photos I want to make.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] OT auto focus tip)