Subject: [Leica] Lens caps
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Tue Aug 15 18:05:55 2006

Well

 I never(big never) wipe the front element of a lens unless it becomes
really necessary. That is why I always get a chuckle from  many posts
selling lenses.  I've seen folks saying "pristine lens, with normal
cleaning marks" and have to wonder who writes that crap. Was slightly
kidding about spitting on filters but would do that a dozen times rather
than wipe the front of a Noctilux with anything,  Loss of coating or
pitting from dust or a myriad other insults to glass can hurt.

Something else, I have a 51-year-old Collapsible Summicron with a beat
up UV filter mounted. The filter itself is much the worse for wear but
the lens is still perfect. A filter also protects threads which might be
important. A very small bottle of alcohol and a baby diaper have been
passengers in my camera bags for decades. Lens hoods are also my
constant companions because that is one of the very best ways to prevent
flare. This is, of course,only my way of doing things but I haven't had
a lens cap in my hand for many years. It's also been at least 25 years
since I've photoed a scene with one on a  rangefinder camera. ;-)

To each their own

Walt