Subject: [Leica] Lens caps
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Aug 15 18:31:20 2006

At 09:06 PM 8/15/2006, you wrote:
>To each their own
>
>Walt

Well, I have to add my two cents here.  I never use a lens cap.  I
never use filters (why would you buy the best lens glass available
and then shoot through a window pane!).  I always use lens
hoods.  Lens hoods are good enough to protect the lens from major
damage.  Wipe marks never hurt a Leica lens.  I think I read where
the Leica guys grabbed steel wool and scrubbed a Noctilux to show how
durable the coating is.  I use spit, hot breath, clean underwear, and
shirt tales to clean my lenses. I've dipped them in rivers before,
too. Lagavulin would work but I've never wanted to waste it.  If you
do get marks on the front of the lens, don't think it will always
degrade the image. I think Ted can tell you about hot metal frying
spots into the front of one of his lenses and he kept using it.  In
spite of my rough handling and extensive use, all of my lenses look
as good as the day I bought them. They are very durable. Don't be
afraid to use your lenses.  Why else would you buy them unless you
are a collector?

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com