Subject: [Leica] You can buy the Noctilux 50 1.2 on *bay...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Aug 25 07:45:23 2006

B. D. Colen offered:" <bd@bdcolenphoto.com>

> For the buy-it-now price north of $5K -
> Or you can buy an Olympilux 55 1.2 for the buy-it-now price of....$355...
> And don't tell me it isn't sharp, Don. :-)
> Here's another example - and the second image is a crop at 100  percent.
> These are raw images, converted to black and white, with no in-camera or
> post-camera sharpening.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/BDColen/OlympiLux2_14  <<<<

HI B.D.,
Me being an old Noctilux user for many years your Olympilux 55 1.2 lens cuts
a pretty darn good image! Similar to a Noctilux while shooting wide open as
this type of lens is made to use wide open or what the hell's the point of
owning it!

And for the price it can't be beat compared to a Noctilux.

I notice some folks not understanding what using a Noctilux or your
Olympilux is all about. If you own one or the other never hesitate to use it
wide open! Other wise what's the point of popping $5000 plus for it! Or
whatever it is in that range give a thousand here or there!

Folks who always think they have to be stopped down.... "the f8 and be there
types" should never own a super valuable picture creating lens like a
Noctilux as it would be a horrible waste of their money! Why buy something
as beautiful as this lens is, then stop it down because the owner doesn't
like the look wide open?

Now we see a side of a similar lens for near 1/10th the price, which I like
the effect created in some of the wedding frames. It's a mood making lens
that fits many wedding scenes. As well as many other scenes only limited by
the eye and imagination of the photographer.

Your last 2 photos illustrate that any one lusting after a Noctilux and
can't afford the price should seriously pop for the Olympilux if they like
the look of what these type of lenses do wide open! Or nearly so.

ted