Subject: [Leica] Re: Non-waterproof Leica
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Aug 26 12:20:15 2006

Without belaboring the issue of Leicas at sea for too long, we must
remember that Leica cameras are not now and never were intended to be
water tolerant.  Equipments for use in a marine environment are rated
for the degree of water resistance by a number of agencies. The scale
ranges from 1 to 10 with the lower numbers meaning less water
resistance. An object (marine radio, camera, binocular, etc.) rated
JIS-4/IPX-4 is considered splash resistant but not suitable for
immersion. Objects with a lower raitng can withstand light rain
showers or heavy mist but no direct application of water. Most marine
handheld radios or "waterproof" cameras such as the Pentax Optio 10
are rated JIS-7/IPX-7. This means that they will withstand a 30
minute dunking under one meter of water and still operate. Real
waterproofing starts at JIS/IPX ratings of 8. A device so rated will
function after it has been submerged under 8 feet of water for  half
an hour and at lesser depths for an indefinite period. True
underwater equipment like the Nikonos series of cameras will function
normally when submerged at a depth of 160 feet (50 meters). But even
they are not suitable for deep sea diving.

Trivia: In bygone years, Nikonos cameras were permitted in surgical
operating rooms because they could be sterilized by dunking in a
bucket of bleach.

Small boats are not the best environment for precision mechanical and
electrical equipment unless suitably sealed for marine use. By a
small boat, I mean anything from a kayak or canoe to a 40 foot
motorsailer. In ordinary use. on anything but extremely sheltered
waters,  boats this size get doused with green water from waves and
in windy conditions are covered with spray. Kayaks, canoes, and small
sailboats capsize and are righted by their crews as a part of normal
operation. Bigger boats offer drier conditions and some degree of
shelter from the elements but even cruise liners occasionally get
water on deck.

I'm not saying that Leicas will fail immediately if they get wet, but
they have little water resistance to speak of. I'm gazing fondly at
my M3 as I write this and I see that water can enter through the
shutter release, the winding lever, the rewind lever, the frame
lever, the lens release button, the speed dial, the back inspection
door, and the base plate. There are no seals on any of these
openings.  The innards of the camera are loaded with small steel
parts, springs and bearings that will deteriorate if water enters and
the camera is not immediately dried. Spray, particularly salt spray
should be wiped off immediately. Even high humidity wrecks its havoc,
as anyone who has used a camera in the Asian monsoon season knows.

If you use your Leica regularly in a marine environment or at the
beach and it functions well forever after, you are lucky. But I still
wouldn't take mine on a canoe trip unless it was packed in a
waterproof bag and I used it only on dry land. There are other
cameras which will do the job on the water. A used Nikonos with an
excellent Nikkor  35 mm F2.8 lens costs only about as much as a Leica
CLA. Why take the risk?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda) ([Leica] Re: Non-waterproof Leica)
Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Non-waterproof Leica)