Subject: [Leica] astronomy anti-light pollution question
From: jackherron at cox.net (Jack C. Herron)
Date: Sun Sep 3 14:33:31 2006

I had the same problem.  I met with the city lighting engineer and described
the problem to him and he promised action.  3 months later a crew came out
and installed a metal shield on the lamp itself, just to block light coming
my way, and not interfering with the illuymination of the street.
Politeness and courtesy work best here.  One suggestion;  Stay in touch and
help with the design, the shield the boys installed is a trifle small, and I
think that had I confered with them I could have had a larger and more
effective shield installed, that still would not haved blocked street
lighting.
    A neighbor suggested shooting it out, but that would break at least 3
local laws.  Not a good idea.
    Before this, I opened the circuit at the base of the light, installed a
switch which could only be reached through a small holl drilled in the cover
plate.  When I wanted to observe, I turned of the lamp during the day
observed, and turned on the light when done.  The neighbor to the right
thought I was a hero because the light shined into his bedroom window, and
the neighbor to the left threatened to turn me into the police.  He operated
a welding business from a well equipped truck, and felt that his "enemies"
would take advantage of the darkness.  Since I had not damaged the lamp, and
had contributed goods and services to the city, I felt that if charged, I
would submit a bill for my "improvements".  Still it put a damper on
observing, and working with the city was a better solution.  I came to this
conclusion after they updated the streetlight and removed my mods.
Jack
Jack C. Herron
8118 E. 20th St.
Tucson, AZ 85710