Subject: [Leica] astronomy anti-light pollution question
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Sep 3 11:43:54 2006

At 12:11 PM 9/3/2006, Eric Korenman wrote:
>Gather all for an odd question:
>
>An amateur astronomer friend asked called me this morning to ask for advice.
>The street light on his corner is giving him problems observing the night
>sky.
>He tried to shield it from view with minimal improvement.
>He has decided to temporarily cover the light head itself with opaque
>material.
>He was wondering what kind of material to use.
>
>I first suggested a pellet gun to 'whack' the light.. Too much civil
>disobedience for him.
>Then I suggested heat resistant metallic cloth.
>The kind they use in fire rescue work. (?)
>Anyone know where to get a metallic blanket to cover a streetlight?
>Any other ideas?

Eric

If the light is controlled by a light sensor, the
quick application of a laser pointer will
probably cause it to turn off for 15 minutes or
so.  This is the common cure adopted by most
Urban Star-Gazers.  In many localities, the local
power company will be glad to consider either
placing a light shield on the light itself or, in
some cases, turning it off on request for a
reasonable period (say, between 1 AM and 1:45 AM or the like).

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!