Subject: [Leica] eyeliner through the ages
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Sep 4 12:07:50 2006

Arche showed:

> http://gallery2.leica-users.org/v/HarveyArche/Joplin-2004-05/album483/kohl.jpg.html<<<

Hi Arche,
Hopefully the KOHL photo... big fat ugly guy with weird hair cut is the
frame that's supposed to come up ?

I always wonder why those who are usually ugly looking, fat and unwanted
supposedly "fix themselves up" with the weirdest hair cuts, metal piercing
beyond imagination and locations of body?

I was recently told by one of my grandson's it's the fashion to have some
kind of piercing showing these days. That was when I saw him with this
protruding piece of metal sticking through his lip.

When I first saw him after many months of being away I immediately played
dumb and asked. "Oh my gosh Chris what happened when you fell on your face?"
Knowing full well of course it was a damn piercing job.

Then he looked a little sheepish when I said I wanted to photograph him full
face right up close so we could sue whomever it was who hit him.

Nothing I could say nor do, that is a part from taking a hold of it with a
pair of pliers and yanking it out of his face could I convince him to get
rid of it. Now were talking about a damn fine looking young boy? man? Of 20
who a moment later introduced us to the latest love of his life!

My first re-action was... OK where the hell is "Kyle Cassidy and how did he
unload this ugly Goth girl on my grandson?" Sorry Kyle she would be perfect
for one of your ugly Goth girl shoots! I know they're not all ugly, just
some of them. ;-) This could be a classic in any book!

Now since my grandson was a little guy he was always a head of all the other
kids with smarts, graduated as an Honour student whatever as high as one can
get. My thoughts have always been "this kid is going to be a millionaire"

Of course he got those attributes from his "grandfather!" ;-) The smarts
sort of.:-) No not the millionaire part. ;-) However, he sure as hell didn't
get my attributes about picking beautiful women! ;-)

I realised he was "hooked by the rings in her lips" and wherever else they
were? It was hopeless to press the piercing further. Just shook my head and
walked away hoping some day "his early smarts might return."

Now Arche back to your series! :-)

It's real down home documentive material much like we saw back in the 50's &
'60's. Your straight forward style is what makes it work so well. Each shot
has it's own tale of being at the fair showing in many cases the mental and
emotional feelings of the subjects.

This is a topic one can work on year after year and rarely have a repeat
image. And if you do? Well it's called "editing fiercely" constantly
building the series to be better and better.

I'd not throw any away, that is unless it's so obviously a miss it goes. But
what might interest you today, maybe far more interesting 50 or 100 years
from now.
So for the moment I'd keep shooting the fall fairs as they come.

I went to one here on the Island yesterday, absolutely not in the right
frame of mind to be anywhere and it was a disaster which became a "select
all-delete all" when I came home! :-(

It happens to all of us some days, even though it's fun. Yesterday? A black
hole! :-( Damn good thing it wasn't a paid assignment! :-(

So once again after looking through yours I felt better as yer doing a fine
shoot and motivated me to have another go next week. Thanks. Well done mon
ami!

ted