Subject: [Leica] Some days...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Sep 5 08:15:39 2006

Scott McLoughlin said obviously without experince;
Subject: Re: [Leica] Some days...

 > I think this is GREAT subject matter. Fantastic world of
> possibilities.  Horses are so  beautiful, and people falling on
> their asses are so dramatic. Really!  It's so macho. It feels
> so American, but also so very remote at the same time.<<<<

Scott I think you might have heard about the world class rodeo in Canada...
"The Calgary Stampede?" Internationaly reknowned and it has nothing to do
about "feeling so American!" It can also be rather dangerous to cover if you
are allowed onto the infield with the riders..

> If one were a) allowed and b) so very foolish, I'd wager that
> getting up close and personal to this action with a nice ~24-28mm
> lens would yield some really spectacular and unique pics. Just
> a random thought.<<<

I noticed you presented this as a random thought. That's the best point...
"random thought."

However, when these horses come out of the chute they can be as mean assed
as one could ever imagine and a photographer standing there with a wide
angle lens for something dramatic and spectacular is more than likely going
to be the "subject of all the other photgraphers" as he's ass over tea
kettle with the horse stomping him into the ground. :-)

Trust me if you are hit by a horse as it blows out of the chute the second
the gate opens and it looks like it's coming right at you? There isn't
anything on your mind other than "survival instincts" kick in and you do
everything to get the hell out of the way as fast as you can.
PPppppppictures? Holy sh....!

The worse thing that can happen? You move in what you think is the opposite
direction to what the horse is going. Then find yerself facing this animal
bearing down on you because you are now freaking out finding you moved in
the wrong direction thinking the horse was going the other way... He didn't
and you've just stepped in front of a charging train about to collide with
you and camera.

Just thought you might have a another random thought about the "wide angle
shot?" ;-)

And you are bruised and hurting for weeks! Trust me it's far more bruising
and hurtful than being hit by three football players on the sideline when
you didn't see them coming. :-)

Best way to look at a rodeo? Buy my book on cowboys! ;-) "Men of the
Saddle." It isn't available new, however I've seen a fair number on used
books sites. Colour with B&W all about real cowboys.:-)

ted

Replies: Reply from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] Some days...)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Some days...)
Message from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Some days...)