Subject: [Leica] Re: Outdated M8
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Wed Sep 13 12:25:55 2006

Both digital and film camera bodies are light tight boxes containing
a light sensitive area of a given dimension. Even without a digital
sensor many film cameras have had computers doing one sort of service
or another for quite some time - whether metering, autofocusing, time
stamping or whatever. And yes, one can either put a lens on them or a
pin hole. The only thing that will make any of them out dated is the
build quality and/or the requirements of the user. Oh, and I guess
the need of the user to keep up with the guy next door. Reality
check: Each week we see wonderful images being made with 60 + year
old cameras and state of the art  films. And in 10 years we will see
wonderful images being made with "outdated" digital cameras (if the
quality is built in to last and they're repairable). My "outdated"
20D continues to do exactly what it did the day I bought it. It has
become a wonderful back up to the 5D. Both of which are backed up by
the R8. The wonderful Leica prime glass works on them all. And while
I have certain respect for the Canon L glass; the only time I use
them is when the autofocus is preferable; which accounts for about
15% of my photography.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com