Subject: [Leica] Re: Boat paintings
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Sep 13 15:40:11 2006

On Sep 13, 2006, at 3:13 PM, Richard wrote:

> Leica photography costs nothing compared to boat ownership.  I'm
> surprised your wife was able to squeeze real money out of those guys
> for a painting.  Most I've known would rather redo their brightwork,
> or install refrigeration, or do almost anything for the boat, than
> eat.

Marine art has a tradition extending back to the Egyptians. Ancient
tombs are inscribed with the images of boats the deceased owned.
Greek coins are emblazoned with images of triremes and the Vikings
carved pictures of their boats on their personal jewelery. Visit any
old home or small museum in New England and you will find paintings
of the ships that the local smugglers and slave owners used to ply
their trades in the 17th and 18th century. Of course these families
are now the pillars of society. Boat owners are so obnoxiously proud
of their boats that they will pay absurd prices for boat paintings.
Just like horse owners and dog owners.

My wife studied art under the last of the Hudson River School
artists, George Kelly, a stickler for environmental authenticity. He
couldn't paint a decent boat to save his soul but his depictions of
the river were masterpieces. The boat owners whose boats she painted
were just the reverse. They objected if a line was out of place but
they wanted their boats to be shown braving the elements of the North
Sea rather than on the placid waters of Long Island Sound and the
Hudson River. And I certainly agree that Leica ownership is cheap
compared to yachting. As the saying goes, "A boat is a hole in the
water into which you throw money."

Larry Z