Subject: [Leica] Re: Ergonomic shortfalls
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Sep 13 16:29:30 2006

On Sep 13, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Alan wrote:

> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
> ,
>> 3. Do I want to put up with many of the ergonomic shortfalls inherent
>>   in the Leica's 50 year old design?
>
>> Larry Z
> --------
>
> I'm not in line; have the cameras I want. I use older Leica M's (and a
> IIIf) more for the bodies than the lenses; I find the ergonomics of M
> Leicas very nice.  Never lusted after another camera once I got my M3.
> (Well, maybe my '59 Rolleiflex).

Ergonomic shortfalls:

1. Film loading - do I have to say more?
2. Viewfinder location - Looking at the camera from the back, the
left hand location of the viewfinder means that to use the right eye
the camera has to be held unsupported on the right side of the face.
This promotes camera shake. This was acceptable with the M3 since
the .92 rangefinder permitted the photographer to keep the left eye
open. With the lesser magnification of succeeding models this
advantage disappeared. Those fortunate enough to be left eyed can
brace the camera against the face to achieve added support at the
cost of getting nose oil over the backside Vulcanite.
3. Off center tripod mount - a never ending frustration for tripod
users.
4. Rear flash contact - most civilized cameras have the flash contact
on the front. Leica flash users risk jabbing an eye with a protruding
flash plug.
5. Tiny controls - The small knobs and dials are impossible to
operate with gloves. As for mittens, fuggedaboudit.

 From a ergonomic point of view, the CL was the best Leica made. Even
though the viewfinder was still on the side, the camera body is short
enough so that the overhang is tolerable. The tripod socket is center
mounted and the flash contact is in the hot shoe where God meant it
to be. The back removes for easy film loading. This has the added
advantage that the camera does not have to be partly disassembled to
remove a film chip. There are some ergonomic problems with the CL of
course. The meter turns on only when the winding lever is extended.
For a left eyed photographer this puts the extended winding lever
directly into his right eyeball. Even Leica recognized this problem
after the camera was released and would fix the camera at no charge
so the meter was always on. The downside was a shorter battery life.

None of these ergonomic deficiencies matters a whit to photographic
quality but they do make the camera harder to use. The biggest
ergonomic problem, the needle threading film loading procedure is a
moot point with the M8 but most of the other problems will still be
there. Most of the design compromises on the older camera were
mandated by the internal arrangement of the mechanical components,
mandates which are no longer necessary in this electronic age. Leica
could have taken the opportunity to refresh the 50 year old design of
the M series - but then it wouldn't be a Leica, would it.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Ergonomic shortfalls)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Re: Ergonomic shortfalls)
Reply from juanbuhler at gmail.com (Juan Buhler) ([Leica] Re: Ergonomic shortfalls)