Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 32, Issue 542
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Sep 15 18:05:47 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 2:52 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> From: Lottermoser George <imagist3@mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M8 whining
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> The 120 film shooter says to the 35mm shooter, "But your camera isn't
> full frame."
> The 4x5 guy says to the 120 girl, "But your camera is not full frame."
> The 8x10 gal says to 4x5er, "But your camera is not full frame."
> The 11x14er says to the 8x10er, "But your camera is not full frame."
> The 12x20 shooter says to the 11x14 fellow, "But your camera is not
> full frame."
> The 20x24 aritst says to the 12x20 craftsperson, "But your camera is
> not full frame."
> The 35mm shooter says to the digital journalist, "But your camera is
> not full frame."
> ; ^ )
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser
> george@imagist.com
>

> On Sep 14, 2006, at 5:06 PM, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:
>
>> I would even stop bitching about the lousy ergonomics if they had
>> delivered the full frame sensor.

Come on guys. Be rational. Almost the sole justification of the
digital Leica was that it would use the wonderful Leica glass. This
is attractive to photographers who have an inventory of Leica lenses
that they cannot bear to replace. The advantage of Leica lenses is
that they retain high image quality to the very edges of the frame.
Test after test has shown that Leica lenses may not have the greatest
central resolution but the overall full frame image quality is
superior. The 2/3 frame sensor of the M8 throws away that advantage.
Unless you absolutely must shoot digital, it makes much more economic
and pictorial sense to use those Leica lenses as they were designed
to be used on an existing Leica body and take pictures on film. For
all but the dedicated digital professional, the $5000 cost of an M8
body will pay for a number of years of film purchasing and
processing. By the time your film runs out you will be able to pick
up an obsolete M8 at a photo flea market for pennies on the dollar.
Incidentally, my wife, the painter, said to me today after viewing a
local photo show that "Photographs are cold. They have no soul."

Larry Z