Subject: [Leica] Re: BW modes
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sat Sep 16 16:06:34 2006

Chris:

>Try converting 500 or more color RAW images to BW jpeg on a D1x
>with 10mp interpolation on!

For a proof-quality step, I just set saturation in Adobe camera raw to -100.

Wouldn't be hard to make an action in Photoshop to convert as many files as
you'd like to B&W using the same channel mixer numbers or the layers like
Russel Brown's technique.

Unless I'm gaining a lot of quality by starting with B&W capture (like 2x
the resolution or something similiar since we'd no longer need a couple
pixels to capture color information throughout), I'd rather have the color
information available.  Then, I no longer need to worry about putting a
color filter on my lens when taking the picture.

I'd argue that you don't usually need 500 top-notch B&W converted files.
Even doing a simple gradiant mask convert to B&W in Photoshop should be just
fine for the proofing step.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/