Subject: [Leica] ICU images...
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Sep 18 09:10:15 2006

Ted,

Everything you say is right on. However, I have a different perspective
on Steve's first photo. For me having the person on the left out of
focus placed the emphasis on the woman on the right. It makes her the
dominant subject. And that's where my attention went first. I noticed
that she was going through a thought process, trying to figure something
out. To me the person on the left was supporting object. He was
providing feedback just like what the woman was obviously looking at.
Whether that was a chart, monitor, or some other type of information
feedback isn't apparent. So the photograph was about the woman and her
quest to find an answer, or a solution to a problem; something with
which I empathized.

If the person on the left had been in focus it would have been more
about the two of them. It would have been about a discussion between two
people (or maybe more people since it looks the the oof person might be
looking at someone behind the woman rather than at her). Instead it's
about the one person.

I'm not saying it would have been better or worse for me if both had
been in focus. It just would have been different. Whether or not Steve
intended it the way it came out, or whether he was handcuffed by the
Noct's dof , I don't know. But it worked for me.

daveR