Subject: [Leica] Slow M8 burst mode?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Sep 18 20:41:42 2006

Michiel Fokkema asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Slow M8 burst mode?

> Ted Grant wrote:
>>
>> Because the first frame was usually right on the mark.... due to my
>> re-action to whatever the moment was and the following 2 were TOO LATE!
>> :-(<<

Michiel you didn't use the complete quote and took part of it out of context
because the comment was about using an "M Leica and a Tom Abrahamsson
RapidWinder" manually shooting and advancing through the base plate instead
of the normal advance re-cock lever on the top plate.

>>>"Until a few years ago when I acquired Tom Abrahamsson's RapidWinder when
>>>I could get 3 frames off manually. Generally with 2 being throw aways!
>>>WHY?<<<<

>>Because the first frame was usually right on the mark.... due to my
re-action to whatever the moment was and the following 2 were TOO LATE! :-(

This is about shooting manually as explained above, not by motor drive .

> Ted,
> Excuse me for my ignorance but can you please explain to me what is then
> the reason to use motor drives?<<<

1/
For me it's because I only have one good eye and motors have always allowed
me to shoot without removing the camera from my left eye while making
exposures with R cameras. With Tom's RapidWinder it means I can keep the M
to my eye and keep advancing film without removing the camera from my left
eye.

> I can see your point in getting it right on the mark but you also say you
> and your son do use motor drives when photographing sports.<<

Yes, but not for squeezing down on the shutter release allowing the camera
to fire a continuous burst hoping one might be the best shot! Because that's
foolishly wasting film.... UNLESS, you are trying for a blur action shot on
a straight away at about 1/15 to create a blurred running effect. then the
burst effect is best under these conditions.

I trust this answers your question.
ted

Replies: Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Slow M8 burst mode?)
Message from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Slow M8 burst mode?)