Subject: [Leica] Re: the dynamic range of digital
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Sep 19 21:03:12 2006

B.D. I'm not trying to muscle in here, and I've never used a DSLR. I really
want to understand better. I don't follow your
reasoning, here. I'd read that article before and reread it on your post. It
seems to me that it supports what Doug is saying. By
slightly underexposing, are you not helping to preserve detail in that first
lightest stop which has the most information? Then you
can adjust the tonal range later but you must preserve the detail in those
highlights, those that aren't specular? Isn't Doug's
approach going to preserve more tones in the highlights and potentially lose
less in the shadows? That is lose much less information
because of the linear performance of the sensors. Now just how much of that
information you can actually reproduce in a print,
either near pure white or black is a different issue. As a practical matter
your system obviously works for you and Doug's for his
subjects. There are clearly other factors at work.

I'm looking forward to learning more.
Cheers
Hoppy