Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodak and Leica
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Thu Sep 21 13:28:23 2006

Here you go, from: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/e1_pg2.html
In fact, someone notes that the M8 sensor is about the same size as two E-1
sensor stuck together :-)

****
Interline CCDs have traditionally been used in digital cameras and are
either interlaced or progressive scan sensors. Interline chips are designed
with a path or "highway" to move data. This highway takes up valuable real
estate that could be used for image capture and reduces the size of the
photodiode in each pixel. The E-1 Full Frame Transfer CCD transfers image
data via a Vertical Charge Register that is a fraction of the size of an
Interline highway. In fact, the active pixel area of the Full Frame CCD is
1.5 times larger than an Interline CCD of equal size. Using less of the
pixel to transfer data means more space can be used to capture data for
better image resolution.

The Full Frame Transfer CCD uses more of the pixel area to actually act as
a sensor with a wider aperture for the photodiode and larger pixel capture
area. With its larger capacitor, a Full Frame Transfer CCD captures more
electrons than a conventional Interline CCD to deliver higher sensitivity,
higher Signal/Noise ratio, and wider dynamic range and greater latitude.
The E-1's progressive scan Full Frame Transfer CCD allows for better speeds
and higher image quality than found in many 6+ Megapixel Interline CCDs.
***