Subject: [Leica] Re: Documentary work
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Sep 24 13:36:02 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 12:11 PM, B.D. wrote:

> I'd go so far as to suggest that the work for
> corporations and social service clients - as glorious and Emmy
> worthy as I'm
> sure it is - is PR work, not true documentary work, in that it is
> work for
> hire produced to tell a story that a client wants told to promote
> the agenda
> of that client.

So is that any different than work to support the agenda of an
individual photographer? Or do you define documentary work as only
done pro bono with no expectation of personal reimbursement. Is a
documentary of the tribulations in Darfur more photographically
praiseworthy than the trials of Wall Street brokers trying to make an
honest buck by hucking Enron stock? Do you really believe that only
projects that support your personal political and social views
deserve to be called documentary (implying no bias) and that
everything else is PR? Don't be taken in by the absurdist politically
correct Harvard environment. Every picture is made to support the
agenda of someone, the photographer or the buyer or the contest
juror. Otherwise one might as well point the camera randomly and
click the shutter.

Several of the prizewinning films made by my daughter deal with
chronic childhood disease. They were sponsored by public service
agencies with no axe to grind other than that the disease be cured.
Her peers deemed them praiseworthy. Remember every image documents
something.

Larry Z