Subject: [Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Wed Sep 27 12:08:23 2006

Lately I have fallen in love again with my old Nikon FM and a 50mm f/1.8
lens.  Here begins my problem.  I LOVE film however, I just can't afford
shooting it as much as I would like.  Soon perhaps, but that's of no
consequence.  So I take my Canon EOS 10d out most places with me and rarely
shoot ever.  I try to make myself, but I don't know why the finger doesn't
push the button.  If I take my Leica with, I'll shoot several rolls a day.
Same with the Nikon FM and my EOS RT.  The digital DOES have a few issues
that I don't like: warm up time, battery life, the crop factor and a small
viewfinder.  (I was spoiled by Nikon F3's and F4's a few years ago and have
kicked myself every day for selling them.)  So I'm wondering, is there any
logical reason that I would consciously or subconsciously want to shoot film
over digital?  I'm hoping that a move up to an EOS 5d might help this, but I
wouldn't want to invest $3k and find out that I still have this digital
"funk" and continue to shoot film.  I'm not saying that one is better than
the other.  I'm "soul searching" for a reason of why I want to take a
photograph with a film camera and not a digital.  Because I believe that in
the end it's all about the image itself & not the tools used to make it.

Your sage wisdom is appreciated.

Philip

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.)
Reply from graham at geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk (GeeBee) ([Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.)