Subject: [Leica] Leica Niche Market share - was An American Yankee in Herr Leitz' Court
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Sat Oct 7 16:01:04 2006

I think Leica (Steven Lee) is very aware that the company needs to
broaden its customer base. They have teamed up with Panasonic and
indirectly with Olympus to design lenses for the 4/3rd system and to
market a series of Luxes based on the cooperation between Leica and
Panasonic. I learned at Photokina that the agreement between Leica
and Panasonic has been extended for another five years so that should
continue to be a source of a greater variety of product and hopefully
a widening customer base. Leica hopes that M8's will start showing up
in the camera bags of the pros again as film M's used to in addition
to the Cankon SLRs in the old days of film. If the pros have kept
their old film M's and lenses I think there is a good possibility
Leica may be right about sales to Pros. The hard nut to crack is new
rangefinder users. Coming to an M8 plus new Leica lenses is just too
expensive if you are not already addicted to the rangefinder shooting
experience. And, of course, there is the question of the R series.
The digital R back is just a stop gap, in my view, while Leica gains
time to develop an integrated digital R body. Hopefully the Sinar
purchase will provide a source of expertise in this regard. And
regarding R lenses they can be used on the 4/3rd system with an
adaptor and with good focusing results using the magnified LCD
screen. Of course, the decisive moment becomes very theoretical due
to the time it takes to fiddle with the focus. In sum, my impression
is that Leica is moving forward on several fronts and hopefully
enough cash flow / even profit will be generated to get them to a
more financially stable place than they have been. Certainly the
success of the M8 is crucial to that but is not the only success
required.
Howard
(Back in Hong Kong jet lag subsiding)

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Leica Niche Market share - was An American Yankee in Herr Leitz' Court)