Subject: [Leica] heads up warning about WD 1TB drive
From: faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman)
Date: Fri Oct 27 09:16:06 2006

It isn't the fan itself, it is the case design which tends to make the whole
thing loud.

WD's fan is either off (a fair amount of the time) or ON FULL blast. IE a
simple thermostat type circuit.

Adding a 68 ohm resistor takes the fan down a notch to a normal level.
I am sure the fan will be on more now that I reduced its speed, but I can
live with regular noise all the time compared to alternating quiet and leaf
blower.

Eric

LaCie did a great job with their 1TB "bigger disk" housing, it stays very
very quiet.