Subject: [Leica] heads up warning about WD 1TB drive
From: faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman)
Date: Thu Oct 26 19:09:35 2006

Ok - I know someone out there is thinking about getting Western Digital's
"My Book Pro II" 1 terabyte drive.

DO NOT BUY IT!

I just received mine (under $500 from Newegg).
Good price. Very pretty package. A speedy USB/Firewire drive indeed.

But once that cooling fans clicks on it is like having a hair dryer on your
desktop.
It comes on after the first 20 minutes of use and stays on about as long.
It is RIDICULOUSLY loud. It is not just my unit. Seems all of these new
units are loud.
Another customer likened to a leaf blower!
It is a design flaw that Western Digital needs to solve.
I'm going to try to undervolt or replace the fan to reduce the noise.

just thought I'd save someone the heartache.

cheers,
Eric

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] heads up warning about WD 1TB drive)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] heads up warning about WD 1TB drive)