Subject: [Leica] M8 and the Future
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Fri Oct 27 13:16:00 2006

Hi Everyone,

I have this gut feeling that the true competitor of the Canon D5 will be the
Leica M9, which will be FF. We're headed for full frame 35. That's
inevitable.
These FFs will hit the market within a year. Digital technology moves fast.
The M8 is probably a good collector's model and those few who actually buy
it
will get about the same results that we enjoy with the Nikon D200 or even
the
D70 -- which is a fast, no slouch Nikon (nevermind the pixel count, the
quality
is there!).

I assume Leica Solms is tooling up for the M9 as we write. I'm looking
forward to the LCD viewer for close-up and telephoto work. I assume there
will be a
lever on the M9 that permits us to open the focal plane shutter to focus and
preview DOF live. Without the DSLR mirror problem, the simplicity of the M
design should make the dual viewfinders possible -- one optical, the other
electronic. My Oly 5050 has this feature and I love it. I can't imagine the
M9
without it.

Bob

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:M8 and the Future)