Subject: [Leica] 6-bit code as installed by Leica
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Sun Oct 29 08:55:03 2006

>If its only for EXIF data then why are they refusing to put it on
>older lenses? Seems like free money to put "Summicron 50mm" in the
>exif for $125

Good question.

I guess that they have to draw the line somewhere.

There many versions of the same lens -- how many 50mm Summicrons have there
been? And IF -- a BIG if -- there was to be some sort of software adjustment
based on the lens ID then each of these versions of the same lens would
require something different -- in 6-bits only 64 different codes are
possible so they'd run out of codes pretty fast. And they probably wouldn't
want their expensive software engineers writing code for some 50 year
old, obsolete lenses anyway.

More probably there are limited resources available to make this
modification. At $125 per lens I don't imagine that this is a big $$$ maker
for Leica.

Dave.

--
My Photography: http://www.david-keenan.com