Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 vs. M8?
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Sun Oct 29 09:26:35 2006

>For those who have used both an R-D1 and M8 -- how much actual
>difference is there in the feel and image quality?

I addressed this subject from my point of view on RFF awhile back.

I own an R-D1 and have had some hands-on time with the M8. And one on order.

Ultimately the M8 is a disappointment for me. While the picture quality is
likely to be first rate, the handling of the M8 despite what others say
about its "M like" look and feel leaves me wanting. The added thickness, the
awful (i.e., slick) covering, and the totally unsatisfying (to this total
traditionalist) empty, hollow sound of the new shutter all contribute a deep
disappointment in the M8.

My "perfect M8" would have been an M7 with just a digital sensor on the film
plane. No LCD, no controls other an ISO selector -- just a USB connector and
some software on the PC to configure the camera before heading out to
photograph. To my way of thinking that's all a digital Leica M needs to be.
I know, dream on...
At this point, I think that the R-D1 is a much better external
implementation of a digital rangefinder. It is as thin as its film
counterpart. I really like how the LCD panel can be hidden. I like the
analog ISO selection. Wih the LCD panel closed for all practical purposes, I
am using a Voigtlander Bessa which does a pretty good imitation of a Leica
M.

The R-D1 build quality is not up to Leica standards. The
rangefinder/viewfinder is not particularly rugged. The battery life is
suspect. The 1.5x crop factor is little bit more of a pain than the M8's
1.3x for wide angle users. I have some issues with the analog guage dial on
my R-D1. But I have no complaints about the Epson's picture quality.

Now that I have a modified PhotoEquip grip on my R-D1 and have found the
Hexanon Dual 21-35mm lens to be the perfect R-D1 lens, I am not sweating the
arrival of the M8 that I have on order... I have struggled with canceling
this order entirely but I now have non-photographic reasons to own one.

But if I couldn't afford both, I'd feel no particular shame or loss by only
owning and photographing with an R-D1.

I hope that Leica is enormously successful with the M8. I realize that I am
in the minority with my gripes about the camera. My hope is that Leica will
gain enough strength with the M8 so that they can get it right with the
M9...

Dave.

--
My Photography: http://www.david-keenan.com