Subject: [Leica] Printing on Glossy Paper
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Oct 31 08:28:02 2006

Chris,

I definitely considered the 2400. But I wanted a letter sized printer. I
just don't make that many large prints. I've owned an Epson 3000 for
quite some time. Still, most of what I printed was 8x10 and smaller. (It
was nice to be able to print the occasional 16x20, but I still can with
that).

I like smaller prints. They're easier to frame. They show better. I also
sell photo cards, and those are folded letter size. Plus letter sized
printers are just easier to handle.

I also print a lot of what I shoot in 4x6 and select images in 8x10. I
like looking at prints and I shuffle around new images. I tire of some
very quickly. Other prints grow on me. Size can make a difference. Some
images look better small. Some look better larger. IME it takes time to
judge an image. Viewing images on a monitor just isn't the same as
looking at prints.

There really isn't a 2400 equivalent in letter size printer. The R800
seemed to be the closest thing. All it lacks is light black inks. It's
possible to replace the GLOP and PK carts with light blacks and make BW
prints on matte papers with QTR. You can switch inks back for glossy,
similar to the 2400. I don't know how practical this is, or what the
drawbacks may be. I haven't tried this yet, but I will soon. (I like to
experiment, though I'd feel comfortable experimenting with the more
expensive 2400.)

What really shocked me about the R800 is how good color glossy prints
looked. I've never been able to knock out decent color prints quickly
and economically on an ink jet printer.

I've always had one printer for bw and one for color. Now I'm thinking
of having one for matte and one for glossy.

BTW, I'm getting ready to order some Crane Silver Rag. Does you use
Photo Black or Matte Black ink?

Sorry to hear about your 2200. Did you ever get it back? :-(

daveR