Subject: [Leica] OT: slide projector
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Nov 2 13:58:21 2006

For the best slide projector, go with whatever fits the trays that
the slides are in already. If they are not in trays, then remember
that you could easily spend more on trays than the projector. If you
are just trying to sort through a bunch of loose slides, then
consider a stack loader. Kodak makes them to fit the Carousel
projectors. Leica made the RT300 that takes Carousel trays and
loaders. Kodak Medalist and Ektagraphic projectors are good machines,
too. Whatever you do, avoid the Kodak 140 slide trays - they jam if
you look cross-eyed at them.

EBay has tons of deals on old slide projectors. The last equipment I
bought was from KX in Santa Barbara if you need a retail dealer:
http://www.kxcamera.com/pro-repairs.html
Several years ago, KX set me up with a nice dissolve unit and a pair
of beautiful Tamron-Pro zoom projector lenses - all top end stuff
that is almost worthless now.

Speaking of projectors, I just bought a digital one on eBay that
arrived yesterday. Nobody on the LUG made any recommendations, so I
went with the Proxima Pro AV 9310, a 40 pound behemoth that will be
permanently hidden in a projection booth above the hall closet. It
sold new in 2000 for $15,000. With shipping I got it for about $450
on eBay.  (Kinda' lets you know about the price curve on all things
digital.) Because of its weight and size, I  got something used that
is about the quality of something new that would cost a couple
thousand dollars. Images are very bright and I'm looking forward to
dialing it in for projecting images from my computer server. I doubt
that it will match the quality of a projected 35mm slide, but it will
be a fun way to review the day's shooting!

Anybody else using digital projectors?

Gary Todoroff, Tree LUGger
www.northcoastphotos.com

PS - this is definitely not an Off Topic (OT) subject at all, Jim -
very pertinent to current and future viewing of our photographs!