Subject: [Leica] Re: Travel FAQ
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Nov 5 16:15:25 2006

On Nov 5, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Kyle wrote:

> because i have SO MUCH free time, i'm wondering if it would be
> useful or helpful to make up a file format faq that explains .tiff,
> jpg, .dmg, .psd, raw, etc.
>
> 1) would this be something luggers would find useful?
> 2) would this be something other people would be interested in
> contributing to?
>
> i'm thinking something along the lines of the "leica M travel
> photography faq" that we worked hard on and nobody reads:
>
> http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/plug/travelfaq.html

Kyle,

If you have a lot of free time, a FAQ on various digital file formats
would be useful. But it seems to me that just about every paperback
photo book (e.g. Digital Photography for Idiots) has a section on
digital formats. On the other hand, now that all Luggers are getting
M8s, you might want to consider expanding your travel FAQ, adding
sections relevant to digital photography. Good advice on battery
charging, file storage, Internet cafes for sending photos home,
getting prints made abroad, etc., would be useful to the first time
digital traveler.

As it is, I read and enjoyed your travel FAQ and agree with most of
the prescriptions. I am a great fan of smallness and lightness in
photo equipment and, if restricted to Leica equipment, find that a CL
with a 40mm and a 100mm lens will meet most of my requirements. The
Ms and associated lenses are just too heavy for recreational travel.
On business, that's another matter. Then you can hire a Sherpa. One
addition to the travel FAQ. Use a monopod instead of a tripod. I have
one that doubles as a walking stick. Remove the head of the handle
and you have a little tripod screw. When traveling by plane, I feign
a limp as I approach the check-in counter and have never been asked
to check it as luggage.

Larry Z