Subject: [Leica] OT: discovered Lange photos
From: jon.stanton at comcast.net (jon.stanton@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 6 16:13:08 2006

Walt,    Here is a "clip" on Migrant Mother"

" Florence Owens Thompson was born on September 1, 1903, in the Indian
Territory of the Cherokee Nation (now Oklahoma) and spent her childhood and
early youth on a small family farm outside Tahlequah.

Much hardship

When she was 17, Florence married Cleo Owens and in the next decade, became
mother to six children. Cleo died of tuberculosis in 1931 but a couple of
years later, Florence became pregnant again from her relationship with a
wealthy Oroville businessman and gave birth to son. Subsequently, James R.
Hill, a butcher from Los Angeles, came into her life and a daughter was born
in March 1935. (Florence had three more children by Hill. She married
hospital administrator George Thompson well after World War II).

For a large part of her life, Florence suffered unmitigated anguish, penury
and hardship, moving from one place to another, giving birth to and raising
children. But she was also a woman who enjoyed life and loved her children.
In 1983, Florence was stricken with cancer. A surgery resulted in a stroke.
In order to raise about $1,400 for her nursing, her son Troy Owens sought
the help of Jack Foley, who filed a story in San Jose Mercury News. Public
response to the special "Migrant Mother Fund" was a staggering $35,000!
Sadly, Florence never ever recovered from her sickness. On September
16,1983, a couple of weeks after her 80th birthday, she died. She was buried
at a cemetery in Empire, California with a gravestone that read: "Migrant
Mother: A Legend of the Strength of American Motherhood."

The true picture

Dorothea's picture of Florence, "Migrant Mother", is among the most famous
photographs of American history. The iconic image â?? snapped in March 1936
at the Pea-Pickers Camp in Nipomo â?? captured the heart of the public,
moved a nation, got reproduced thousands of times and now hangs in the U.S.
Library of Congress.

According to Geoffrey Dunn, award-winning documentary filmmaker, film
professor and historian, "no other image in the American archive resonates
with the emotional urgency and tragic poignancy of this photograph ...
Indeed, Lange's sombre portrait has achieved near mythical status,
symbolising, if not defining, an entire era in our nation's history." Dunn
is, however, quick to add that for all its acclaim, the photograph remained
shrouded in mystery and behind-the-scenes controversy.

For one, the identity of the sitter (Florence) in Lange's picture was not
known till the late 1970s when Florence expressed disdain for the image and
declared that she felt "exploited" by Lange's portrait. "I wish she (Lange)
hadn't taken my picture," she fumed. "I can't get a penny out of it. She
didn't ask my name. She said she wouldn't sell the pictures. She said she'd
send me a copy. She never did."

Lange herself had recalled in 1960: "I did not ask her name or her history.
She told me she was 32. She said that they had been living on frozen
vegetables from the surrounding fields, and birds that the children
killed..." In the field notes, she recorded: "Seven hungry children. Father
is native Californian. Destitute in pea pickers' camp... because of failure
of the early pea crop. These people had just sold their tires to buy food."

Dunn remarks, "Lange was uncharacteristically remiss in ascertaining
information about her subject. The little she did record was largely
misleading and factually incorrect ... Through her negligence, in effect,
Lange perpetrated a case of historic deception on the American public."

While reconstructing the day when the famous photograph was made, Dunn
reveals that Florence, the children and Jim Hill packed up their Hudson
sedan and headed north to find work. On Highway 101, just outside of Nipomo,
the timing chain on the Hudson broke and they were forced to pull into the
pea-picker's camp to mend their car. "We got the radiator fixed and hurried
back to camp to fix the car," he quotes Florence's son, Troy Owens. "When we
got there, Mama told us there had been this lady who had been taking
pictures, but that's all she told us, you know. It wasn't a big deal to her
at the time."

On Lange's assertion about their selling tyres to buy food, Dunn quotes Troy
again: "There's no way we sold our tires, because we didn't have any to
sell. The only ones we had were on the Hudson and we drove off in them. I
don't believe Lange was lying, I just think she had one story mixed up with
another. Or she was borrowing to fill in what she didn't have.... That photo
may well have saved some peoples' lives, but I can tell you for certain, it
didn't save ours."

The picture had a silver lining. When Florence's sickness generated national
attention and contributions and touching messages poured in from all over
the country, Owens admitted: "None of us ever really understood how deeply
Mama's photo affected people. I guess we had only looked at it from our
perspective. For Mama and us, the photo had always been a bit of curse.
After all those letters came in, I think it gave us a sense of pride."

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] OT: discovered Lange photos)