Subject: [Leica] 2500 ISO
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Tue Nov 7 06:00:05 2006

Ted

I remember buying my first new Nikon F in 1968. With a 50mm 1.4 the
price was an outrageous $300 plus . I was making about $450 a month at
the newspaper. These days that translates into paying $5000 for an
M8(sans lens) for the photographers making 7 grand a month. Dentists,
doctors, landed gentry and stockbrokers aside, not many LUGGERS shoot
that kind of business.

Sure the M6  fantastic machine but I fail to see it as a viable pro
tool. Can it work well in the hands of a pro? Of course it can. Can any
number of  less expensive digitals on the market do as well? I'd make a
bet they can and do on a regular basis. About the only viable argument
which might justify one is lens compatibility. Now, where did I put my
21mm ASPH (now 27mm) lens which cost enough on its own?

Years back I was quite taken with some  of the new Canon gear. (A-1s)
Nikon was just releasing th F3s and many were problematic. I tried the
Canons and liked them. Dumped all my F2s and re-outfitted. Later, was
covering a NASA thing which had to be gotten. Raining like a SOB and
nothing to do but grin and bear it. While anticipating the (routine)
Astronaut walkout I looked down and saw the lights blinking on my A-1s.
One of the  three bodies worked and the other two went belly up.
Repaired later but not much help for my agency looking for astronaut
images.

Perhaps we'll know better after the  new users start telling their
tales?. I am not saying the M8 is a dog, or if it is, it's a
well-pedigreed one..   I will say  if images are your end  goal a Pentax
K1000 in the right hands would produce what you need. :-)

Walt