Subject: [Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Nov 12 14:23:06 2006

Subject: Re: [Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses
ted asked:

Didier Ludwig responded::
> Not for me. Since I have got the R-D1, I have not looked once at the EXIF
> data.
>
> But it is funny, I can very often remember which lens I used on which
> picture, sometimes even the aperture, and this for shots made several
> years ago. Never used a shooting data booklet (which is a good reason to
> miss many shots), but what I mostly did is noting the film type, date and
> location on the neg stripe sleeves.

Didier
In all my years I never kept track of lens, film, exposure and all that
stuff some people get off on. Only ONCE did I fall victim to the techie
types insisting it was crucial information I should keep track of for future
use and improving on my exposures. Mind you I was young and easily led
astray in those days.......;-)   Today? Boy it's a whole different ball game
and that's why I'm always on the some what rant about the digital techie
stuff.

Show me that any of this stuff really makes a major difference to the
quality of my photography and yes I will make every effort to learn how to
make use of it. Absolutely no question.

However do not attempt to explain to me what and why a camera should be
wasting battery power writing the date, aperture, exposure, focal length,
ASA and whatever else the power is wasted on writing totally unnecessary
information. Unless it's for the rock, fern and non-breathing crowd to take
snaps of rocks and ferns and non-breathing, non-moving subjects. ;-)

RAW & JPEG? I understand why one should learn these functions and how to
make them work to one's advantage for a better quality print, no problem. I
am working on this for self print improvement! But they still fall into a
certain category of picture taking and are not an absolute necessity for
100% of digital photographers.

I'm sure more answers to come.
ted

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses)
Message from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses)