Subject: [Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Nov 12 13:23:20 2006

Brian Reid offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses

> We've been discussing this for a while.
>
> Nobody actually knows the answer. There is lots of speculation. Cynics are
> speculating that the coding is good only for EXIF data. Computer
> programmer types are speculating that the coding constitutes an
> information interface that will be increasingly useful in the future.
> Loyalists are speculating that the camera's firmware can correct known
> lens issues if it knows what the lens is.<

Ok folks, you know it's old dumb butt here about this kind of stuff, so a
question?

This EXIF data, is it crucial to taking pictures and producing good prints?
I know from roaming around pushing buttons in the 20D and seen on a few
other digi cameras, I find things that tell me what camera, what lens, what
time of day and it seems the only thing missing, what the weather was like
right along side the image. However, is all this stuff absolutely meaningful
to a successful capture of a peak moment. IF NOT!  What's the big deal?

For instance, ROM lenses and non ROM lenses. Didn't we hear all kinds of
worrying and disasters will strike if you didn't have ROM lenses with an
R8-9 whatever? Bloody well nothing happened other than ..... you got to know
what the flash was set for! Balderdash, such nonsense! And my gosh the world
would end if you used a non-ROM on the body. Oh yes and many rushed to have
their lenses ROM adapted! At I believe for a sum of $150. Doesn't this
amount sound similar to the adapting of M lenses for the M8??

We shot film with M's, there wasn't anything to tell the film what lens it
was? And without question many folks did a damn fine job of producing
remarkable photographs.  So is this information absolutely crucial to the
well being of our photographic results?

Oh and please don't give me some esoteric digital technical stuff answer
when we have folks using un-marked lenses on an M8 and having excellent
results. When others are sweating like stuck pigs about not having "perfect
results" when using a lens with the tag on it for an extra $150.00 bucks!

Why not hang up this stuff until the crew of this list have maybe a 100 M8's
out there and we get some real life results? And not a pile of hypothetical
techie stuff before "real people" pound the hell out of M8's in a multitude
ways of shooting.

OK that's it, back to the afternoon football game! ;-) Have a nice day! :-)
:-)

ted

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] M8 and non-converted Leica M lenses)