Subject: [Leica] Comparison of M8 Photos in Infra-Red.
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sun Nov 19 10:40:42 2006

All:

There has been a lot of discussion on the various lists, about a
problem with the rendition of blacks with the new M8. It seems that
some blacks are reproduced as a purple/blue black, rather than a true
black. (To be honest, I've not noticed this in either of the two M8's
I've used, but then, I was not looking for it!)

This is generally attributed to the IR sensitivity of the Kodak
sensor, and how Leica have treated this sensitivity with IR coatings
on their protective plate, over the sensor.

However, what I've not seen, so far, is a demonstration of this IR
sensitivity.

For those who are interested....

I chose this composition, not for it's great beauty, but because
there are both live (green) trees and dead (brown & black) trees,
(killed by the Pine-bore Beetle; a true plague in our area).  A
collection of grasslands, water and sky round out the choices for
comparisons.

All shots were taken in early September, with a pre-production M8
(firmware v0.23), using a tripod and Henning Wulff's 75mm pre-ASPH
Summicron.  Many thanks, to Henning, for the loan of his lens and IR filter.

The first shot is an ordinary, colour shot, for comparisons.

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_Colour.htm

The next shot is in the standard colour mode, but with the IR filter
attached.

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_Colour_IR.htm

Now we have B&W mode (as selected in the M8's menu) - no IR filter used.

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_BW_Normal.htm

And last, the M8 in B&W mode, but with the IR filter attached.

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_BW_IR.htm

FWIW, I tried the same sequence of shots with the R8 and DMR.  While
the DMR is sensitive to IR, it is not nearly so sensitive as the
M8.  I had to compensate +3 stops to get a useable image out of the
DMR, and the noise levels were terrible, when I did so!  OTOH, there
is no problem with the rendition of blacks on the DMR!

David.
---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA