Subject: [Leica] having met an m8, i've decided i don't need one
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Nov 19 22:35:51 2006

Like Kyle, I have a D200. It's a pretty good camera for the price,
and there are a nice selection of relatively reasonably priced lenses.

I find I still shoot more with my film M6 TTL's. My shooting volume
has been (very) low lately, but my Sensia 100 + Fuji Mailer experiment
has been a success for me so far. Just drop the roll in the mail and wait
for the slides to show up in my mailbox. Fairly economical too.

I can't really "read" or "proof" a neg, but slides present no problems
in this regard.  I can scan and maybe print just the keepers, so that
greatly reduces scan time and digital futzing.

I use the D200 mostly for studio shots - tethered to a PC for "instant
Polaroids" - or where I'll need on camera flash.  In the latter case, it's
really a cop out, because I've taken satisfactory nice flash pics in the
past with my M6's using a trusty auto-mode Vivitar 285 or the TTL
SF24 flash.  Just set the shutter speed for sync, put the lens on f5.6
and shoot away.

I'm not sure what I'd do with a digital M8. I'm pretty wedded to the
focal lengths of my 21/35/28/50/90 lenses. I'm already compromising
in this regard with my D200 (I shoot primes, excepting a 12-24 zoom),
but I'm not sure I want to introduce such compromises with my Leica
M Kit.  It just works - the way I like it.

Maybe some day, but right now, I'm in no hurry to add yest another
digital camera system into my gear mix. No hurry at all.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35