Subject: [Leica] Re: Mac for PS
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard L Ritter, Jr)
Date: Mon Nov 20 11:56:27 2006

I would second this suggestion. I run PS CS2 on a 2GHz MacBook with 2GB of
RAM and have no problems with speed despite the lack of a MacIntel native
binary version of PS. But since you have the Windows version of PS, and a
budget in the range you indicate, my suggestion would be anything from a
MacBook to a MacBook Pro to an iMac. But run the Windows version of PS under
Boot Camp, which makes the MacIntel machines into no-holds-barred Windows
platforms, rather than under Parallels, which adds a layer of virtuality by
running inside the Mac OS, and considerably slows processor-intensive tasks.
For example, a complex graphics calculation on my MacBook takes Mathematica
about twice as long in Windows/Parallels as it does in Windows/Boot Camp.
Then, when an upgrade of PS to a MacIntel-native form is available next
year, you can switch to this version if the need arises.

OTOH, accessing an image in the Mac partition from the Windows partition and
vice-versa, is trivial with Parallels, while (AFAIK) you must offload an
image file to some out-of-system location and back again in the other system
if using Boot Camp. Maybe if you have a .Mac (dot-Mac) account, with online
storage, you could do this smoothly...or if you have an external HD.

--howard