Subject: [Leica] Leica Announcement (before the official announcement)
From: rclompus at mac.com (Richard Clompus)
Date: Thu Nov 23 10:27:10 2006

I just read this message on the Leica Camera User Forum:  http://
www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/10045-new-info-my-dealer.html

Here is a copy of an email I received from my dealer:

In an effort to keep my promise that I would keep you informed of
anything I learn about the M8 situation, I offer you the following.

I wanted to quickly share with you what I've just learned about how
Leica will addressing the questions many of you have had on the M8.
Official announcements to the public will be delivered no later than
Monday, 27 Nov.

In the mean time, please read below, an excerpt from a letter to all
Leica sales reps, from Roger Horn, sent this afternoon, Wednesday 22
Nov. 2006.

Dear All:

I just received the M8 announcements, and I mean Announcements. There
is a letter for the agency, one for the dealer, one for the consumers
that have already purchased an M8 and one additional one that is a
question and answer memo. About 25 pages in all. Since all letters
have to be read and re-read to make sure there are no inconsistencies
for our market, I thought it best to just give you the highlights
which can be shared with your dealer or consumers. Christian and
Shirley will make sure all the appropriate letters are mailed on
Monday. The info is also due to be on the Leica Web-site on Friday.

1. The "Banding" and "Mirror/Ghost" effects have been thoroughly
investigated and the root cause has been identified and eliminated.
The remedy will enable every M8 to meet and exceed Leica performance
standards. All customers that have purchased and taken delivery of an
M8 will be entitled to an upgrade performed in Solms, free of charge.
Specific measures will be taken to enhance customer loyalty that will
be outlined in detail in the memo's issued Monday. In summary, every
one of these customers will be entitled to purchase a new M lens at a
30% discount directly from the factory in Solms.

2. The above average sensitivity for infrared light can be
compensated by using an IR filter. Leica will make available two free
IR filters of any size (there are 7 filter sizes for the current M
lenses) for M8 purchasers. I am sure the logistics of this is in the
memo's but I have not read all 25 pages. Delivery of these free of
charge IR filters will commence in February, 2007.

Again, further details will follow, but now you know what I know.
Shipment of the M8 will resume sometime next week - though the
specific day of arrival and quantities deliverable are yet unknown.

Thanks again for your patience and support over the past couple of
weeks. I have no doubt in my mind the M8 is back on track for
becoming one of the most successful products in Leica history!

So... the GOOD news is free filters, the BAD news seems to be a trip
back to Solms for our cameras.

Ralf-Finn Hestoft
HESTOFT | flash detection

Happy Thanksgiving from the U.S.