Subject: [Leica] Variations on a Location
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Dec 4 20:39:54 2006

Sonny showed: hand held fireworks!

> I've been shooting pictures of fireworks for  nearly as long as I've been
> taking photographs.  I also live in  Natchitoches, where we have about a
> dozen
> opportunities a year to see  them.
>
> Since I live just 2 blocks from the scene, I can shoot from my  house for
> some shows.
>
> These shots are taken hand-held, and the technology  of the Pentax K100D
> camera makes them seem stable, but some have a dream-like  quality.
>
> These were all taken from one spot. No tripod. Too many  people to move.
>
> http://www.sonc.com/FW_fant/<<<

Hi Sonny,
I think what happens with many people, including myself when we first shoot
fireworks there's a photo technical thought processes.... "it's night, dark
and fire works are away up in the sky." ERGO:  One must use a tripod.

But once one attends a major display with a huge number of flashes and
brilliance where the ground is almost as bright as day, much as we see in
your pictures. The thinking goes... "Jeeeesh  it's like daylight! Why not
shoot it hand held?" The worst that'll happen is one will blow a few frames
of fire works. :-(

There's nothing like shooting fireworks at the closing of an Olympic
Games!!! :-)Absolutely awesome!  Man you want shock and awe? This is the
place without getting your head blown off by some errant missile!

I usually use the R, whatever model at the time, and shoot just as though
it's daylight allowing the camera to select the exposure. And it works very
well, most of the time. ;-)  Then all you do is concentrate on what elements
to include in the frame to make the shot more interesting. Much along the
lines of your people here and there.

Besides at the Olympics you are not allowed to use tripods nor flash! So
what the heck use your arms and hands. ;-)

Yours are beauties and I think we've seen maybe one or two on the LUG
before?

Well done mon ami.
ted