Subject: [Leica] Filter for the M8 B+W 486
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed Dec 20 08:09:08 2006

I have been the prime proponent for a filter coating over the sensor cover
for the M8 to fix the IR issue....  Leica has told the
market to use the 486 filter to fix the issue.....I have done some reading
and present a write up from Adorama on the filter.....

"Description
This B+W Interference Filter has a completely colorless glass carrier coated
with a number of extremely thin, partially reflecting
layers with precisely computed thicknesses, similar to MC coating.

The B+W Filter 486 does not block by means of absorption, but by
interference of the unwanted UV- and IR radiation that is
repeatedly reflected between these layers.

It is especially recommended for CCD applications where digital image
sensors have not been fitted with an IR protection filter.
This filter is completely clear and it requires no increase in exposure. Its
filter factor is 1.  "

I still have to digest this, but it may actually be not possible to have the
absorptive filter coating on the cover plate without
some form of other problems.,.....

More to follow..

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net