Subject: [Leica] Re:M4 variants
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sun Dec 24 17:00:21 2006

The M4 is my downfall into being something like a collector.

I got into Leica late, replacing my Olympus equipment (OM3, OM4t, and
lenses accumulated on low budget buying over 15+ years) which had
been stolen. Job changes and "maturing" attitudes and body let me
decide to strip my pack down to something easier to manage. I shopped
used and got an M6, 21, 28, cron 50, and cron 90 with the insurance
money.

When Sonny decided to lighten his load, Kitty urged me to get his M7.
It still made working sense. I really do prefer working with and
automatic. So I'm up to two bodies.

Then soon after, local craigslist popped up a bargain: chrome M4,
Tele-Elmar 135, Chrome Summicron 50, MR Meter, a fistful of filters,
and a Minolta 16 submini for $500. It all worked fine, if a little
stiff.  How could I say no?

I bought it. Ran a couple of rolls through the M4 before the shutter
died (metal lead on one curtain broke loose). Well, it's not worth
much that way, so off it goes to DAG. As long as it's on the way,
might as well polish up the 'cron 50 as well. Now I've spent about as
much as I would have if it weren't a bargain.

So now I have an M4 with 50 that I really don't "need." The 50 isn't
really more useful than the newer black chrome 'cron I usually use.
It doesn't focus as close and the infinity lock can aggravate on
distant focus. The M4 has the rewind crank and more modern loading. I
guess this make it the perfect snob user M Leica--old world
construction and smoothness with new world convenience. Of course
that doesn't put a meter in it, so it becomes a third stringer when
it comes to work.

Here's the problem: both of them are so DAMN fine to see and handle,
I couldn't possibly get rid of them. I trot them out regularly for
shooting, but they aren't the first thing I grab on the way out the
door. I guess that makes them collector equipment.

I'd be happy to get any rationalizations on why these pieces are
necessary for day-to-day work, or ideas on things that they can do
better than my other stuff.

The other goodies in the basement (a gift from a friend) are a IIIf
(RD) with a Summitar 50, Nikkor 35/3.5, and Nikkor 135/3.5. I
currently trying to get through a local CLA/shutter repair on the IIIf.

Ten years ago, I would have told you that I would never own a Leica.
Now look what's happened! Beware, children, beware!!

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Passing-Fancies