Subject: [Leica] Best flash for M8?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Dec 28 09:06:47 2006

I think you are incorrectly interpreting this sentence.....  'The number of
electrons collected is linearly dependent on light
level and exposure time ...'.  It is a pretty basic electronic theory of
integration.  The rest of the sentence was more
interesting... ".....and nonlinearly dependent on light frequency..." ( or
so I remember the words...)

In this case, in my reading, exposure time for the M8 is the open digital
gating timing.  ( or could be and is the mechanical
shutter timing on say the M3).

How does the M8 shutter work at speeds of 1/250 to 1/8000?  The same way it
works below that speed... the gates open, the gates shut
for the required timing.  You do not need a slit ( or any other kind of
mechanical ) shutter, except for this multiple flash mode
with fast shutter.  There is nothing that I have read that states the
digital timing of the sensor array can not operate with a
minimum gated exposure time of 1/8000 of a second.. after all, the light is
pretty bright to use that shutter speed......and amount
of light is all that counts.

Read the email I will send out later....  It all sounds logical to me, but
you never know what Leica will do / has done, unless you
get to have that open discussion with them....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Best flash for M8?)