Subject: [Leica] Best flash for M8?
From: lucien_vd at mac.com (lucien_vd@mac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 28 06:07:37 2006

Frank Filippone wrote :

> Lucien... the M8 sensor works with all the pixels in the array
> integrating the light at the same time.  It can not work with a slit
> shutter and a single flash of light.  That is clear from the Kodak
> literature and application sheets.

> Let me carefully define a slit shutter.... when the leaves in the
> shutter are open in a way such that the trailing edge of the
> leading leaf and the leading edge of the final leaf are closer
> together than the entire image area.

Yes, that's the description of synchro flash, in this case (R9 and
M8) max 1/250.

It was the same with film.

But Frank, in your opinion, how does the M8 sensor work (without
flash) for speed between 1/250 and 1/8000 ?

In my opinion, it cannot work without a shutter, because, like Kodak
wrote it :

'The number of electrons collected is linearly dependent on light
level and exposure time ...'

And on the M8, AFAIK, only the shutter (and the aperture) can
regulate that.

Lucien

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Best flash for M8?)